Wednesday 26 February 2014

Bathroom, feature wall and a bit of paint

We have been here over a month now and the bathroom is nearly finished. In fact just a few finishing touches required. We have left it for a while in order to a) get a change of scenery and b) get on with our bedroom otherwise we won't ever make it back to the UK. Pictures below. The shower took a bit of playing with as we had a small leak from the door, but phil seems to have sorted it now.

 
Plasterboarding is taking ages, as is the repointing of the feature wall. 
We are mixing one portion of lime with three of red sand which is the regional finish required for the honey walls. Having to be a bit careful with the lime as it can burn but a pair of rubber gloves seems to do it. (Some photos here)
 


It's a high wall and is coming together but quite tedious to do so I keep popping off to do other jobs. I have cleared the path that leads to the church a little. Also pushed back a neighbour's chicken wire fence that had fallen on the path. Then I have primed and undercoated the gate that is opposite the church. This is in the hope that the neighbour may now see fit to mend his fence. 

This afternoon the sun was out so I have given the yucky brown front door a coat of undercoat. I have also bought the paint I am going to use but I'll leave that as a surprise. I think it may be for me too as the colour on the tin doesn't match the colour on the charts by a long way.

Yesterday Phil had his first French haircut and very nice it looks too.
Our neighbour is one of the three hairdressers in Villefagnan and it was all of 15 feet to walk.
My turn next week perhaps. We were waiting for the hairdresser to get around to Phil when a truck pulls up outside and it was a couple of guys from the local builders merchants had arrived to give us a quote, so I left Phil to use his ever increasing French vocabulary and went to talk to the builders.
I have this idea of opening up the area just inside the entrance by knocking down some of a 2 foot thick wall. Just an idea I had and we mentioned it to M. Plisson yesterday when we went to get some plasterboard. Within hours these guys had shown up to give me a quote. It does seem that we may not be able to open up as much as I had hoped as there is danger of the house falling down. Not an option I choose so we will have a little think about it. They were great chaps but I have yet to receive the quote so we will see.
I returned to the hairdresser to find Phil in the chair with a great haircut ad clean washed hair. (Not for long though, today it's full of plaster again).
Tomorrow will bring more work with plasterboard and repointing but every little helps.







1 comment:

  1. Blimey, you guys aren't hanging about?! Looks great xx

    ReplyDelete