Friday 31 January 2014

Moving in and our progress

We left the gite on Friday - as soon as the toilet was functional. It's pretty cosy here as long as we stay I the couple if heated rooms. The bedroom is comfy and we are eating out meals in the middle bedroom which will become an ensure for the upstairs bedroom. 

The hit water cylinder is plumbed in. And to think this was my first purchase and was sitting in the hall at Evergreen for a couple of months.

Beams have all been treated against woodworm and other wood eating nasties.
It's almost as though the builders of the house just took a tree trunk and fixed it up here. Full of character though! 

And we even have a bath. Water test has been completed, sadly the water is cold when it should be hot. Phil has gone back to the drawing board and we are hopeful of being able to have a bath very soon.
There isn't any heating up here but the thought of hot water makes that pale into insignificance. 
David (pronounced Da-veede) will be pleased. We have popped into his bar two nights in a row for an aperitif and I'm sure he will ar us if we go much longer without a bath. Incidentally our aperitif consists of a schooner of rise wine. This is twice the suze of their extremely small balloon glasses.  I am on Rose ordinaire at 1 Euro a glass. Phil is enjoying his Rose superieur at 1.60 Euros a pop. David is a lovely chap and gave us a parking wheel for when we want to park in Ruffec. Apparently by setting the time of arrival on this plastic wheel it will save us parking fees. So far I haven't seen anywhere we do have to pay for parking but maybe we have just been blissfully unaware. 

 

I picked up my car yesterday morning. A lovely silver 2003 Peugeot 206. 2 litre diesel. With my French number plates I'll have no excuse not to be aware of any parking restrictions. We are looking forward to leaving the van behind and going for a bit if an explore of the French countryside. Hopefully in Tuesday. Hot water permitting. 
I am so chuffed with myself for buying the car and organising the insurance as neither the garage nor the insurance agent spoke any English, so I was totally reliant in my French. Phil's French is coming on brilliantly. He can ask for our aperitifs now and that's more important than nearly anything.
I've had a weekend where I've caught up with friends and family which has been wonderful. Seems like they are so close with the power of the Internet. 
More updates soon mes amis.
With love xx








No comments:

Post a Comment